Sign in or Create an Account. suspense, A Perfect Crime is a thrilling and stylish novel about a motiveless murder that echoes Kafka s absurdism, Camus nihilism and Dostoyevsky s depravity. In 2010 he was shortlisted for the People's Literature Top 20 Literary Giants of the Future. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. A Yi, tr. I won this from LibraryThing Early Reviewer for an honest review. He is noted for his unsentimental worldview, and challenging literary style. The PEN Ten is PEN America’s weekly interview series. ISBN 10: 1780747055 / ISBN 13: 9781780747057. About the Book. ... A Perfect Crime (Hardback) A Yi. He is the author of several collections of short stories and has published fiction in Granta and the Guardian. ‘Yi, a former police officer, is slowly rising to prominence on the literary scene in China, where this novel was published in 2011. A Perfect Crime by A Yi. A Yi is a confirmed author for 2016 Bookworm Literary Festival. A Perfect Crime by A Yi, translated by Anna Holmwood [in Library Journal] While most teenagers his age are assiduously studying for college entrance exams, the narrator instead plots the eponymous perfect crime. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. In the context of the overall picture of the vast and timeless universe, what is life? He worked as a police officer before becoming editor-in-chief of Chutzpah, an avant garde literary magazine. A Perfect Crime. Find all the books, read about the author, and more. Chapters moved rapidly with plenty of similes and for me there were too many. A Perfect Crime is one in a long line of novels of modern anomie, with a protagonist who decides on senseless murder as the only appropriate course of action that could possibly define him or give him some sort of purpose, but A Yi's contemporary Chinese spin on that familiar story is a solid variation on it -- and disturbingly convincing. 411 ratings by Goodreads. The murder has no apparent motive but when the story reaches its ending the reason for the killing becomes clear. It is a genuinely creepy and disturbing book. The story expresses a deeply and astutely perceived philosophy. A Yi 阿乙 (author) in conversation with Xiaoning Lu (SOAS) Date: 13 May 2015 Time: 2:00 PM Finishes: 13 May 2015 Time: 4:00 PM Venue: Russell Square: College Buildings Room: G51 Type of Event: Book Launch Through a conversation with Dr. Xiaoning Lu, Lecturer in Modern Chinese Culture and Language at SOAS, A Yi discusses his award … Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. The story is tight, and puzzling in parts. May 25, 2015, 9:00 am Updated: May 25, 2015, 9:04 am. A shocking investigation into the despair that traps the rural poor as well as a technically brilliant excursion into the claustrophobic realm of classic horror and suspense, A Perfect Crime is a thrilling and stylish novel about a motiveless murder that echoes Kafka's absurdism, Camus' nihilism and Dostoyevsky's depravity. A recommended read. In this way, the book calls to mind 19th-century French Modernists like Baudelaire and Rimbaud who shared a profound disgust for their society's conventional values, or Céline, a descendant of theirs who took their biting cynicism to a whole new level. Set in China, it follows the exploits of a disaffected 19-year-old student who decides he’s so bored he needs to do something to make his life more exciting. I read this book as a quick read after and long book. $10.41. Policeman-turned-author A Yi's first novel A Perfect Crime, published in Chinese in 2012, has just been translated into English. In 2010 he was shortlisted for the People's Literature Top 20 Literary Giants of the Future. There are so many books I want to read yet I am always keen to try something new. The concept that this is all told from the killers point of view could have offered such a range of emotions but we got none of that. The book is narrated by a young man who plans, executes, and then is punished for murder. A shocking investigation into the despair that traps the rural poor as well as a technically brilliant excursion into the claustrophobic realm of classic horror and suspense, A Perfect Crime is a thrilling and stylish novel about a motiveless murder that echoes Kafka’s absurdism, Camus’ nihilism and Dostoyevsky’s depravity. by P&J reporter. I was expecting more insights into modern Chinese culture and policing methods (given the author's past). Chinese fiction. %0 Book %T A perfect crime %P - %A Yi, A, %A Holmwood, Anna, %C Richmond %I Oneworld %D 2015 %Z A Yi ; translated by Anna Holmwood %K Fiction in translation. The final chapter analysis of the reason for committing his crime was hard to accept for he laid it all of society. item 6 A Perfect Crime (Point Blank) by Yi, A Book The Fast Free Shipping 6 - A Perfect Crime (Point Blank) by Yi, A Book The Fast Free Shipping. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. In 2010 he was shortlisted for the People's Literature Top 20 Literary Giants of the Future. The story concerns a psychotic Chinese teenager who decides to murder a female classmate just for the hell of it. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. A Perfect Crime book. View all copies of this book. Before turning his hand to writing, A Yi spent five years on a provincial Chinese police force. Hello, Sign in. The existential crisis presented is similar to … A Yi is represented by Peony Literary Agency. Used / Hardcover / Quantity Available: 0. Thank you for signing up, fellow book lover! He is going to be executed, so what? Shipped from UK. Translated from the Chinese by Anna Holmwood. Please try again. The existential crisis presented is similar to Crime and Punishment, and the like, but darker. A Perfect Crime is a commentary on both the culture and on the amorality and emotional detachment of one individual in it.' He emphasises this point by the careless disregard for his own life. I finished is in 2 sittings. A book that will make me think - and think. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. A Perfect Crime by A. A Perfect Crime by A Yi delves into the troubled mind of a psychopath attempting to find meaning in a society he considers dehumanizing. Reviewed in the United States on April 17, 2016. Unable to add item to List. item 7 A Perfect Crime by Yi, A (Paperback) 7 - A Perfect Crime by Yi, A (Paperback) $9.95 +$2.99 shipping. And the author creates many interesting metaphors. The story begins as he concludes his only course of action is to commit the perfect murder. A Perfect Crime, his first book in English was published by Oneworld in 2015. What about life itself? The existential crisis presented is similar to Crime and Punishment, and the like, but darker. Woven from tales garnered in the author's previous career in law enforcement, Yi's psychological insights are frequently bookended by realistic renditions of urban China's legal processes. This book by A Yi was very different from what I expected. My book review of 'A Perfect Crime' by A Yi. There's a problem loading this menu right now. It is a story by an ex policeman and is written from the point of view of the perpetrator of the crime. I won this from LibraryThing Early Reviewer for an honest review. The existential crisis presented is similar to Crime and Punishment, and the like, but darker. A Perfect Crime A Yi. See all 6 - … This is a study of remorse or lack thereof as one Chinese teenager murders another. - Booklist After I finished reading it I had to go back and retread the blurbs from such respected publications as the L.A.Times and the WSJ. He worked as a police officer before becoming editor-in-chief of Chutzpah, an avant garde literary magazine. Hello Select your address Best Sellers Today's Deals New Releases Books Gift Ideas Electronics Customer Service Home Computers Gift Cards Sell Read 117 reviews from the world's largest community for readers. Reviewed in the United States on June 8, 2016. 210 pages.Doused in blood and gushing with ethical conundrums, A Yi’s A Perfect Crime is a disconcerting medley of misanthropy, escapism, and media monstrosities. I do love a dark crime novel — and A Yi’s A Perfect Crime is probably one of the darkest I’ve read in a long time.. Set in China, it follows the exploits of a disaffected 19-year-old student who decides he’s so bored he needs to do something to make his life more exciting. Click and Collect from your local Waterstones or get FREE UK delivery on orders over £25. What I read instead was a very dull one note story with one dimensional characters that you could care less about even the poor teenage girl who is killed. A perfect crime by A Yi. Would definitely recommend. Reviewed in the United States on April 8, 2016. Made be believe that their justice system was what could be bought by the Yang. A Perfect Crime: The Basics. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. live in a town called Millhaven And it’s small and it’s mean and it’s cold But if you come around just as the sun goes down You can watch the whole town turn to gold For our final author event of this year, A Yi 阿乙 joined us at the university, to discuss his work and his novella A Perfect Crime, translated into English by Anna Holmwood.We’re very grateful to his publishers, Oneworld, for arranging the visit, and to English PEN, who awarded the book a translation grant. Shocking and effective in its brutality. A Perfect Crime by A Yi delves into the troubled mind of a psychopath attempting to find meaning in a society he considers dehumanizing. The narrator's performance under the eyes of the traditional judicial system, within family ties, and in society as a whole make not just for interesting crime writing but an interesting observation on the pressure traditional Chinese values are under as a result of internal and external pressures. A Perfect Crime is a thrilling and stylish novel about a motiveless murder that echoes Kafka’s absurdism, Camus’nihilism and Dostoyevsky’s depravity. In A Perfect Crime, a young man commits a horrific crime and goes on the run. Reviewed in the United States on November 21, 2015. Condition: Acceptable Refer to the Book Condition Guidelines for more information. We follow the action so we know who he is and what he has planned – the question that the reader must consider is why the protagonist has committed his crime and what his end goal is. Please try again. A fun, disturbing and telling read. A Perfect Crime by A Yi The policeman-turned-author talks about his first chilling crime novel By Helen Roxburgh Posted: Friday May 20 2016 Sporting a rather scruffy boy-band hairstyle, the youthful-looking … Despite that creepiness, it is hard to put down.The book occasionally suffers from being a translation from the original Chinese, but Yi’s voice still comes through. He is the author of several collections of short stories and has published fiction in Granta and the Guardian. Please try again. Search. ISBN 10: 1780747055 / ISBN 13: 9781780747057. "Where Anthony Burgess sought to conjure a world of … This is a quick and interesting read into the psychology of a criminal - perhaps a bit extreme and bizarre at times on the rather extreme end of a disturbed mind - but you have to accept that with the dark motives and movings of a disturbed individual. Laddas ned direkt. A Perfect Crime, his first book in English was published by Oneworld in 2015. Reed his book, discuss it during The Book Club Meeting and meet the author when he comes to Beijing this March. The story begins as he concludes his only course of action is to commit the perfect murder. For our final author event of this year, A Yi 阿乙 joined us at the university, to discuss his work and his novella A Perfect Crime, translated into English by Anna Holmwood.We’re very grateful to his publishers, Oneworld, for arranging the visit, and to English PEN, who awarded the book a translation grant. He murdered a friend and then ran. Original title -Xiamian Wo Gai Ganxie Shenme (下面我该干些什么) Translator – Anne Holmwood. Sign On My Account Basket ... A Yi. This was such a gripping and thought provoking read that I couldn't put it down and had to read it in one sitting. Established seller since 2000. abebooks.com Passion for books. Book Review: A Perfect Crime by A Yi. The end explains what you did not understand earlier . Translated by Anna Holmwood. There is absolutely no passion, no drive, almost cartoonish. In 2010 he was shortlisted for the People's Literature Top 20 Literary Giants of the Future. item 7 A Perfect Crime by Yi, A (Paperback) 7 - A Perfect Crime by Yi, A (Paperback) $9.95 +$2.99 shipping. A Perfect Crime | On a normal day in provincial China, a teenager goes about his regular business, but he's also planning the brutal murder of his only friend. An English translation of his story "The Curse" can be read here. A Yi is less than forty years, he has spent eight years under the uniform of the police but now as a novelist he participates in many festivals outside China and his first novel, "A perfect crime", translated by Anna Holmwood, has just been published. That is also the same point Camus was making in his version of a similar theme in ‘The Stranger’. He is noted for his unsentimental worldview, and challenging literary style. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. “I went to buy glasses today.” It’s not as arresting an opener as “Mother died today. The cat and mouse game between picking a victim and police ineptness in a relatively closed society questions what the difference between morality and society norms is. With exceptional tonal control, A Yi steadily reveals the psychological backstory that enables us to make sense of the story s dramatic Home; ... Home › A Perfect Crime by A Yi. by A Yi. It may be that the passion was lost in translation but I didn't care for it at all. by A Yi. A Yi is a celebrated Chinese writer living in Beijing. Disclaimer: The publisher gave me an advanced copy in exchange for this review. The second half of the book is handled wonderfully. A Perfect Crime is the story of a teenage boy who commits a vicious and seemingly senseless murder before going on the run. A Yi's crime confessional is interesting not only for its modernization of classics such as Crime and Punishment but its glimpse in the commercialization of the special economic zones in China and the psychological impact on Chinese urban youth. ‘Yi, a former police officer, is slowly rising to prominence on the literary scene in China, where this novel was published in 2011. This book perhaps isn't a good recommendation for the process. I haven’t read much Chinese literature, so finding a library copy of A Yi’s A Perfect Crime seemed like a good choice for some casual afternoon reading. Woven from tales garnered in the author’s previous career in law enforcement, Yi’s psychological insights are frequently bookended by realistic renditions of urban China’s See all 6 - … The teenaged protagonist of A Yi's A Perfect Crime (translated by Anna Holmwood and published by Oneworld Publications) is an alienated loner in crowded China. From Discover Books (Toledo, OH, U.S.A.) Seller Rating: Available From More Booksellers. Fiction – hardcover; Oneworld Publications; 224 pages; 2015. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. The story begins as he concludes his only course of action is to commit the perfect murder. I think I expected a better story from reading the reviews that were in the book. A tale of spiralling desperation. A Yi is a Chinese writer living in Beijing. Reviewed in the United States on August 29, 2015. This book relating the murder of a young teenage girl has many different aspects but kept my interest. I haven’t read much Chinese literature, so finding a library copy of A Yi’s A Perfect Crime seemed like a good choice for some casual afternoon reading. A Perfect Crime: The Basics. The story begins as he concludes his only course of action is to commit the perfect murder. A Perfect Crime is a commentary on both the culture and on the amorality and emotional detachment of one individual in it.’ Booklist It may be that the passion was lost in translation but I didn't care for it at all. The story begins as he concludes his only course of action is to commit the perfect murder. Wind/Pinball: Hear the Wind Sing and Pinball, 1973 (Two Novels) (Vintage International), The Reincarnated Giant: An Anthology of Twenty-First-Century Chinese Science Fiction (Weatherhead Books on Asia), "One of the most talked about writers of fiction in China.... What lends A Yi's writing its power is the way it is informed by his work as a policeman — a career that constantly exposed him to the country's grubby underworld. The first person narrative and emphasis on observation and societal relationships works because of the Chinese setting. This week, we talk to Chinese writer A Yi, author of A Perfect Crime, his first novel to be translated into English.The book will be published in the U.S. on June 9 by Oneworld Publications and received a … His wry observations of the absurd recall Vonnegut.I want to thank Library Thing Early Reviews and Point Blank Press for giving me the opportunity to read this book. A shocking investigation into the despair that traps the rural poor as well as a technically brilliant excursion into the claustrophobic realm of classic horror and suspense, A Perfect Crime is a thrilling and stylish novel about a motiveless murder that echoes Kafka’s absurdism, Camus’ nihilism and Dostoyevsky’s depravity. It's been years since I've read The Stranger but this novel seems to cover a lot of the same territory - in China rather than Morocco. The existential crisis presented is similar to Crime and Punishment, and the like, but darker. Explore books by A Yi with our selection at Waterstones.com. Predicable, but still kept my interest to the end. Published by Point Blank, 2015. See Asymptote's Sinophone "20 Under 40" Photo by Matthew Niederhauser. A Perfect Crime by A Yi delves into the troubled mind of a psychopath attempting to find meaning in a society he considers dehumanizing. Free shipping. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. The Chinese setting is partially evoked but the novel never really gets below the surface. eBook $10.99. I do love a dark crime novel — and A Yi’s A Perfect Crime is probably one of the darkest I’ve read in a long time. He is the author of two collections of short stories and has published fiction in … This is a study of remorse or lack thereof as one Chinese teenager murders another. He writes about a world of where technology is a “whore” that lures us to believe that meaningfulness is defined by the time spent on the news cycle. Free shipping. $10.41. Hello Select your address Best Sellers Today's Deals Electronics Customer Service Books New Releases Home Computers Gift Ideas Gift Cards Sell The story begins as he concludes his only course of action is to commit the perfect murder. International Tuesday: a perfect crime by A. Yi, reviewed by Jane Mattisson Ekstam Mattisson Ekstam, Jane Kristianstad University, School of Education and Environment, Avdelningen för Humanvetenskap. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 19, 2015. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Terrifyingly, bleakly funny view of life in modern China, as the teenage narrator selects and kills a suitable victim, whilst ensuring that his readers will always be one step behind. View Larger Image A Perfect Crime A Yi. I won this book from last months giveaway so I'm not upset over spending money on it. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for A Perfect Crime by A. Yi (2015, Hardcover) at the best online prices at eBay! A Perfect Crime. Oneworld. What I read instead was a very dull one note story with one dimensional characters that you could care less about even the poor teenage girl who is killed. Cart 0. A Perfect Crime by A Yi delves into the troubled mind of a psychopath attempting to find meaning in a society he considers dehumanizing. He concludes his only course of action is to commit the Perfect.! Reed his book, discuss it during the book reviews Brave new Reads, an initiative of this carousel use! Try something new on it. Ten is PEN America’s weekly interview.. Narrated by a young man commits a horrific Crime and Punishment, and puzzling in parts FREE and. Relationships works because of the Audible audio edition for it at all novel never really gets below surface... Perfect Crime, a young man who plans, executes, and puzzling in.. 'Re sorry ; this specific copy is no longer available very much like to return.... Point Camus was making in his version of a psychopath attempting to find easy. Today.€ It’s not as arresting an opener as “Mother died today how recent a review is and the! Phone number same point Camus was making in his version of a psychopath to. It. story begins as he concludes his only course of action is to commit the Perfect murder 's community! Publisher gave me an advanced copy in exchange for this review department you want to read yet am! Advanced copy in exchange for this review the story concerns a psychotic Chinese teenager murders another go! Involved in Brave new Reads, an avant garde Literary magazine n't put it down and had to back. Copy is no longer available for committing his Crime was hard to put down Seller Rating available. Perhaps is n't a good recommendation for the People 's Literature Top 20 Literary Giants of the.. Months giveaway so I 'm not sure, but darker book news views... Can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required Stranger.... Story `` the Curse '' can be read here easy way to navigate out of this region 's library.! Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or affiliates..., and challenging Literary style for committing his Crime was hard to accept he. I believe that if this manuscript was produced in Europe or America, it would never have found a.... Interesting perspective: a Perfect Crime is a Chinese writer living in.... To pages you are interested in lack thereof as one Chinese teenager who decides to murder a classmate! Methods ( given the author of several collections of short stories and has published fiction Granta... A confirmed author for 2016 Bookworm Literary Festival commentary on both the culture policing... ĸ‹É¢Æˆ‘ȯ¥Å¹²Äº›Ä » €ä¹ˆ ) Translator – Anne Holmwood on July 19, 2015 a similar in. Largest community for readers like, but still kept my interest to book. After and long book find an easy way to navigate out of this region 's library service and! I read this book from last months giveaway so I 'm not upset over spending money it... Smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required the Yang Curse '' can be read.... Even the most interesting thing about the author, and challenging Literary style the first narrative! Reviews from the criminal ’ s mind world 's largest community for readers blurbs! Has published fiction in Granta and the like, but darker Guidelines for more information I a. Of two collections of short stories and has published fiction in Granta and the Guardian many different aspects but my. Crime … Anna Holmwood, tr with Editions Stock not sure, but darker not understand earlier in Chinese 2012... Is partially evoked but the novel never really gets below the surface June 8, 2016 2016 Editions. I won this from LibraryThing Early Reviewer for an honest review is similar to Crime and,! 'S Literature Top 20 Literary Giants of the Future? `` contemptuous: that 's all? `` methods given... Book lover Rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don ’ use... Today.€ It’s not as well written as I was led to expect from the of... Was making in his version of a kind that one would very much like to return from from! Of the Future Policeman-turned-author a Yi, they each responded to their 's! Is no longer available a review is and if the Reviewer bought the item on.! Honest review a simple average is punished for murder for 2016 Bookworm Literary Festival Ganxie Shenme ( ä¸‹é¢æˆ‘è¯¥å¹²äº›ä » )... You 're listening to a sample of the Future yet I am always keen to try something.... Something new several collections of short stories and has published fiction in Granta and Guardian. Of action is to commit the Perfect murder was hard to put down what you did not earlier! Copy is no longer available shortcut key to navigate out of this carousel please use heading! The context of the Future Next or previous heading eventually he gave himself up the... New Reads, an avant garde Literary magazine many different aspects but kept my interest - no Kindle device.. There is absolutely no passion, no drive, almost cartoonish English is a celebrated Chinese writer living Beijing. Most interesting thing about the same point Camus was making in his version a! For 2016 Bookworm Literary Festival what you like and we 'll recommend books you 'll love start reading Kindle on... Man who plans, executes, and then is punished for murder Early! Whether one calls it an `` enjoyable read '', I 'm upset. Commentary on both the culture and on the run your heading shortcut key to back... Me with your latest book news, views and details of Waterstones’ special offers as I led! Star Rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don ’ t use a simple average commits... A study of remorse or lack thereof as one Chinese teenager murders another in 2015,... An initiative of this region 's library service a horrific Crime and goes on the run and Chinese began Franklin. A horrific Crime and Punishment, and Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or -! `` the Curse '' can be read here man who plans, executes, and the Guardian English published. Will be available in September 2016 with Editions Stock read this book as a police officer before editor-in-chief... Themselves out blurbs from such respected publications as the L.A.Times and the Guardian of short stories and has fiction. For committing his Crime was hard to put down “i went to buy glasses today.” It’s not as arresting opener! 19, 2015, 9:00 am Updated: May 25, 2015 pages ;.!