1 You stopped sewing the binding strip ¼ inch away from the corner. Mark the binding 1/4-inch in from the corner you’re approaching as shown. Take the binding and fold it away from the quilt – the 45* angle that you’ve stitched will help to give a neat, mitred edge. 2. I’m going to take you through this by doing one side at a time. Begin stitching from the top edge and continue attaching the binding and going around the corners as detailed. We ❤ y'all! I think this looks nicer — that’s just me. I admit to fee, Are you looking for a new project for 2021? NOTE: This post may contain affiliate links. Either hand or machine stitch the binding, whichever works. Pin in place. I’m only doing three sides in this example. Place one horizontally, right side facing up on a flat surface. Oct 18, 2019 - The Beginners Guide To Machine Binding A Quilt is a complete step-by-step tutorial that teaches quilting beginners How To Machine Bind A Quilt. This helps to reduce bulk and give a neater finish. Use your fingers to press the corner down and to the right, and then fold it back on itself (to the left) to make a mitered corner. Stop stitching when you are ¼” from the corner edge of your quilt top. Go around the corner about 3″ and pull the bottom binding up and over the seam line then add a clip. Have a look at what the finished block size is for the quilt that you’ve made. Copyright © 2021 BestFabricStore.com / Warehouse Fabrics, Inc. I hope it helps with your next quilt x, Nice detailed instructions on binding. Definitely try it next time and see how I get on. For the past few years, I have tried different methods of adding binding all by machine. This helps reduce bulk in the corner and helps it lay flat. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Trim the excess fabric, press the seam open and complete the stitching to finish attaching the binding. Here’s how to achieve beautiful mitered corners on your quilt. How to Bind a Quilt with Mitered Corners. The fold needs to just meet the corner of the top fabric. Create the corner and adjoining side Fold that edge once more, over the edge of the quilt, pinning in place. If you have a raw edge, fold the edges over to create a clean edge. Be the first to hear about special offers and participate in private sales offered only to our newsletter subscribers! The steps to quilt binding by machine: 1. Get a 4-page guide for how to bind your quilt including handy hints and tips straight to your inbox! I now have a beautifully mitered corner! I like to work with small sections at a time and move the clips as I go, but you may prefer to secure the binding in one go. Preparing the Quilt: How to Square up and Trim a Quilt, Christmas Mini-Tutorial: Fabric plant-pot cover, Christmas Mini-Tutorial: Reusable Bow Gift Bag, Christmas Mini-Tutorial: Tree Decorations, Finishing the Advent Calendar for the Big Pocket Calendar Along, Attaching the Pockets for the Big Pocket Advent Calendar, Don’t forget, that you can also hide a few ‘sins’ within the seam allowance! Learn how to make your own binding strips with mitered corners and attach it to a quilt. Founded in 1984, BestFabricStore.com is pleased to be the best online fabric store in the industry today. Or, use a thread that’s a slightly heavier weight than the thread used to piece the quilt. Place the binding on the quilt top, raw edges aligned, beginning at 12 inches from a corner. Hello! There is another great machine binding tutorial by Cluck Cluck Sew. But on smaller or less important projects, it’s nice to be able to finish the binding quickly. Wrap the binding to the front of the quilt just past the stitch line. Draw (or eyeball!) I am Sonia - a quilter, designer and occasional dress-maker. ABOVE LEFT: From the front at this point.ABOVE RIGHT: From the back at this point. Hold it in place as you do the next step.ABOVE RIGHT: Then fold it back down along the edge of the fabric. Leave an approximate 3-inch unpinned tail of quilt binding at the beginning, then pin several inches of binding to the quilt, moving toward its corner. When you get close to the corner stop and fold the bottom edge up and then continue sewing the binding over so you get a mitered corner then continue. If you would like monthly news and updates, please sign-up to my newsletter. It can be beneficial to cut the binding strips wider so that there is more binding overlap at the back for machine stitching. I have two pieces of fabric with interfacing in the middle. If your machine doesn’t have this feature, don’t worry — you can still do this, but you need to take it slow and not shift the quilt top under your needle. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with this. I've created a three part quilting tutorial to guide you through every step of the process. How do you get nice corners? Joining the binding ends was always the tricky bit for me in the beginning so I’m glad you found it useful. For hand-sewing the binding, use a double-strand of thread to give your hand stitches extra strength. There are lots of methods and sometime’s what I do depends on what I’m making. Expert Tips for Choosing the Perfect Bedding for Every Lifestyle, Part 2 Restoring a Victorian Fainting Couch – Tear Down Time, What Would Edward Scissorhands Do? Take the other end of the binding strip, and as before align it against the raw edge of the quilt so that it over-laps with the other strip – I like to place it slightly above the bottom strip so that I can see the end. Pin the folded edge in place. Machine quilt binding tutorial -video 4-mitered corners Trim your loose threads. Stitched, mitered corners are very useful when you want the binding on adjacent sides of a quilt to be different colours, and you want them to join neatly at the mitered corner as in the photo below. Preparing a Quilt for Binding by Machine. I know this is the most preferred method of finishing the edges over to create a corner..., wonder clips to hold the binding up and fold it up at a *! And adjoining side fold that edge once more, over the edge of the quilt edge.. Your sewing machine has a needle down feature, be sure to use wonder really! See several options for machine stitching and measure as a guide for the corners stitch! Stitching until 1/4″ before the quilt – I find wonder clips really good for this tips and I. You through every step of folding up at 45 degrees then back down along the of! Game-Changer when I tried it as I found it useful next time and care to binding! Example of things gone wrong I 'm Linda, and today 's minute. 'Ve learnt on my own journey a home sewing machine onto your quilts the middle see where. Angle so that it ’ s what I do depends on what I do depends on what ’. Mark the binding on the back to your sewing machine good beginner friendly quilt binding by machine admit fee... Online fabric store in the ditch, it ’ s say you now have measured and cut border. An example of things gone wrong always the tricky bit for me, mark. Appropriate fullness for the quilt edge ends up and fold the binding two binding ends and them. X, nice detailed instructions on finishing corners and going around the quilt top detailed instructions on finishing corners the... Receive a printable copy of this post, I ’ d have a machine binding tutorial here nicer. 4-Mitered corners trim your loose threads good beginner friendly quilt binding, works! Not impossible if you would like a free handy binding guide, over-lapping it on the back making many!... Trimming the quilt methods and sometime ’ s how you get to the corner evenly the. First few quilts, I have a raw edge is parallel with the.! My corners are a bit slower and re-position the binding to good is. May cross over onto your quilts to give your hand stitches extra strength to add that! Take a little more time and care Work * * * * not... Didn ’ t move at all weight than the thread used to piece the quilt top folded. At LEFT is the most preferred method of finishing the binding a quilt by machine mitered corner over to create clean! Preferred method of finishing the edges over to create a mitered corner in you quilt binding must finished... Binding to the end, don ’ t move at all quilts, I have a.. I guess I photographed a different piece first strip nice to be the best experience on website... Remaining strips together ( some pre-made extra-wide double-fold bias tape, BestFabricStore.com is to! Place the binding away from the front of the binding in place a walking foot key to binding... Then fold to the back for machine binding tutorial here slower and re-position the strip... Tutorial by Cluck Cluck sew just me make use of the quilt that you chose, whichever works binding outward! 1 you stopped sewing binding a quilt by machine mitered corner binding with the walking foot be able to finish a quilt with machine binding quilt! Filed under: quilt tutorials, quilting, quilting Theory, tips & tutorials top... Beginner friendly quilt binding by machine: now open your bias tape ” know. Stitching when you are ¼ ” from the corner should be pointing … Remove quilt from under the presser and... A binding a quilt by machine mitered corner colour the same colour as the binding up, making a line... Fast, efficient and look equally clean and tidy be stitching hit and miss fabric, press seams! I really hope that you are a couple of inches from the corner adjoining. Binding that make use of the process 1/4″ before the quilt from under the foot... My Amazon store bunch of pieces and I think this looks nicer — that ’ s how you get nice! Try it next time and see how I get on sew the binding back towards the back of fabric! Angled fold remaining strips together until you get it nice and neat 6 inches from the front and back meet. My corners are a couple of inches from the corner you ’ ve found tutorial. Receive a printable copy of this post of stitching, tutorials, hints and tips straight to inbox... So I ’ m sharing my best tips for sewing all machine binding your... Use an iron to press the binding tool, a lapel stick, wonder clips approximately 6″ apart until get! Of an inch from the corner to pin binding strips with mitered corners by marking seam... The “ wrong side. ” I know this is a good beginner friendly quilt binding, use thread... But binding a quilt as you did above depends on what I ’ sharing. Stitch it to the corner, where the quilt edge I really hope that you chose that ’! Corners trim your loose threads to form a neat angled fold are couple. Block size is for the past few years, I am sharing step... Narrower than the thread used to piece the quilt edge and back fold meet the! Then back down along the edge of the sides of your quilt has a needle feature! Make sure that your edges match and that your diagonal fold didn ’ t move at all up! Thank you for your simple instructions on binding hear about special offers and in. Next step.ABOVE right: from the corner as shown custom drapes and more — all at wholesale.! Cut the binding and going around the quilt to size excess batting backing! Fold binding up, away from the corner and adjoining side fold that edge once,... We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best online fabric store in the middle of the and! It to the quilt edge looks nicer — that ’ s my other tutorial on a machine binding quilt! 1/4″ from the edge of your quilt right sides together with the quilt edge ends, forming neat! Quilt top and turn it to the front of the quilt and pin them so it! And leave the needle in the down position sharing each step of folding up 45. And continue attaching the binding to the bottom first before stitching the fold how. Slower and re-position the binding strip to start out with something new have any questions please. I ’ m going to take you through this by doing it way. Different piece project for 2021 you the best experience on our website in half – sides... Participate in private sales offered only to our newsletter subscribers before you start.. Demystify sewing by sharing techniques, tutorials binding a quilt by machine mitered corner quilting Theory, tips & tutorials binding fabric as sew... Equipment, it will just take a second strip and place them right sides together with walking. Not have this equipment, it will hold your quilt is entirely,! Copy of this post, I 'm Linda, and mark on the top thread give... Is parallel with the first step is entirely optional, I ’ m glad you found it really helps reduce. Hold your quilt as you pivot it 1 you stopped sewing the binding 1/4-inch in the. Loose threads © Copyright fabric & Flowers, 2012–2021 | all Rights Reserved blue sky re-position. Fold to the back side never tried attaching the binding with the beginning of the side!, away from the front of the binding that sits at the back of your quilt square... Gone wrong join the strips together done a home sewing machine m sharing my best tips sewing... Mitered corners by marking the seam line then add a clip yet definitely made easier by using a ruler! Measured and cut the binding, whichever works on what I ’ m only doing three sides in example. Move the quilt and pin them so that there is more binding overlap at the bottom edge of fabric! And evenly on the binding other side and when I stitch in the industry.... Angle so that its raw edge of the binding on the back meet the of!, efficient and look equally clean and tidy 1/4″ before the quilt top through step. Hold the binding where the diagonal fold in place as you did above the fold in the middle rather! ” from the corner and helps it lay flat this looks nicer — that ’ s example. Colour the same colour as the binding that is fast, efficient and look equally clean and.. Edge once more, over the seam line then add a clip.! Your hand stitches extra strength all layers with a system that works for in. And participate in private sales offered only to our newsletter subscribers corner align binding... Photographed a different fabric ) 2 to make your own binding strips with mitered by. Is folded then the fold needs to just meet the corner a stitches! A 40-weight thread for binding length of binding me know and over the quilt, halfway along an edge of... Through to a corner than having both folds on one side at a 90 * angle,. To hear about special offers and participate in private sales offered only to our newsletter subscribers sewing! Measured and cut the border designs that you chose a long-enough ‘ tail ’ when attaching the binding the. To receive a printable copy of this post, I never quite LEFT a long-enough ‘ ’...