Combat this potential problem by pre-treating the facing with a galvanized metal etching primer. You’ll probably need to go to a real PPG store to get breakthrough. Become a GBA Prime member and get full access to GBA articles, enyclopedia, videos, CAD library, and more. Rod asks, “I recently added faced, rather than unfaced, fiberglass insulation over my existing attic insulation. I don’t really want the reflective shiny look, but don’t want to put up drywall at this time. what is the correct method of installing foil faced rigid insulation to the exterior of a wall when the interior is already sheetrocked with craftfaced insulation under it. He has been writing professionally since 1999. You can drywall or panel right over the foam. If you can use a staple gun and a pair of scissors, you can install foil floor insulation. I am in mixed-humid (Zone 3A). Wait four hours for the self-etching primer to dry. Choose a polyester paintbrush to promote a smooth finish. Foil faced insulation is the best type of insulation for retaining heat in the winter and keeping heat out in the summer. I can get seconds, which are foil faced, for well less than half of new. Mar 29, 2020 - If you want to paint foil-faced insulation, you must first employ the proper preparation techniques. The tip on PPG breakthrough is what I am looking for. Can you tell me if it will be okay to use this type of installation in a sauna. But drywall is fairly cheap. Make sure the insulation facing is flush with the face of the stud. Can I put the peper face against the outside wall and the second piece put fiberglass sides together, so the paper face of the inside paper is against the sheet rock. © 2021 The Taunton Press, Inc. All rights reserved. However, in cases where painting is unavoidable, it is suggested that the following procedures be followed to determine if the paint selected is suitable for use on the exposed polypropylene or aluminum foil surface. You'll need to use an etching product and acquire the proper respirator. This technique might come in handy for a variety of home décor projects, such as decoupaging your painted foil onto frames with papers or fabrics. All of our foil insulation is made right here in the United States and is the best quality product available. You would likely be better wrapping it in something as the foil face won't hold paint very well. Products containing vinyl films should not be painted as there may be long-term compatibility issues between the paint and the oils in the vinyl. If you want to paint foil-faced insulation, you must first employ the proper preparation techniques. Thank you for the recommendation on the Zinzer product. Brush vertically, applying light pressure. Nov 26, 2016 - If you want to paint foil-faced insulation, you must first employ the proper preparation techniques. You shouldn’t have to sand anything as that’s not usually a prep step for painting metallic surfaces when using the proper paints. Wipe unseen dust from the facing with sticky tack cloths. Do not use ordinary base primers on a foil facing or the finish will flake. This paint is known for really sticking well, but it’s best sprayed if you can. I am hoping you can answer my question on using polyisocyanurate form insulation in the roof (ceiling) of our out door sauna. It has two outside walls, which are very cold, so I was hoping to dot & dab some insulation boards to the walls (walls are already stripped-back to bare brick), and then tile straight onto the insulation boards. I’d do a test on one sheet and see how well it works but I think you’ll be ok. How sure are you, this product is actually Thermal and not XPS with a foil layer? Can You Place Fiberglass Insulation Against Metal Roofing?. I just can't think why it would hurt to paint over the outer side thatÂs not foil. So in an attic the paper faces downward and in a crawl space, it faces upward. Owens Corning’s Foamular Rigid foam insulation has an R-Value of R-5 per inch of product thicknesses. IÂm still confused about leaving the foil insulation in place year round. If buying new, I would get the white version. Foam board insulation is easy to cut with a circular saw with a masonry blade or scored with a utility knife and snapped like you would drywall. I was hoping there are options that were not etching, as most of the primers of this sort I am familiar with are oil/solvent based. It can be attached directly to the studs or over exterior plywood or chipboard sheathing. Canvas you can paint but on foil, it will flake off. This insulation product is designed to slow heat transfer and enhance acoustical performance. Coat the foil face with water-based metal self-etching primer, using a roller. Meaning if you already have insulation and are simply adding another layer of insulation over the first layer, you should not use faced insulation. After allowing a coat of primer to dry thoroughly, you can paint the foil any color you choose. You can easily find both at big box stores in a … I have seen that one can use an etching primer to prime the aluminum face of foil faced insulation and then paint it. Try PPG breakthrough. I’ve never seen it anywhere else. Learn how to insulate your basement walls from http://www.insulationstop.com. Wait two hours for the finish to dry. Polyisocyanurate usually comes faced with foil on both sides. Some CertainTeed products, such as SpeedyR, are prodcuced without stapling flanges specifically to be friction fit, and do not need to be stapled. , with back primed cedar siding on the exterior. Another type of do-it-yourself insulation is rigid foam sheathing, such as Johns Manville AP Foil-Faced sheathing. Thanks for shopping at the Insulation Stop, your leader in radiant barriers and reflective foil insulation. A crinkled piece of foil primed and painted could be used as a texture-adding background in artwork. To attach the insulation, you can use screws with large washers, a special adhesive made for adhering foam board insulation or, for smaller pieces, you can seal them in with caulk or spray foam. I have use I would prefer to spray as it will be fine to do in a basement and there is 1600SF of wall so setting up to spray will be worth it. Ryan Lawrence is a freelance writer based in Boulder, Colorado. He has 10 years of experience as a professional painting contractor. If you insist on painting the foil only you might try a self etching primer to give a bit of grip to the paint, but definitely try it on some different foil to make sure it doesn't eat straight through it before putting it … can you double up paper back insulation to fill deeper space by using 2 by 6 board studes as framing. Fire blocks. Combat this potential problem by pre-treating the facing with a galvanized metal etching primer. The difference can be several hundred dollars over an $850 dollar purchase. I might check for cable and such, and make sure they are all about 1" away from the screws you will be using. Foil faced ridged foam board near boiler? I'll talk to a couple paint stores about options for this category of paint. Lawrence writes for High Class Blogs and Yodle. You might not need to do much fancy prep work if you use a paint made for adhesion to difficult surfaces. The only way you can paint the insulation and pipes effectively, is to rent a sprayer. Dust the foil face, using a coarse plastic brush. If you have insulation, that probably means electric is there as well, and that is about all you need. You shouldn’t have to sand anything as that’s not usually a prep step for painting metallic surfaces when using the proper paints. After you are done, cut to adjust the length and get ready to work the next layer. He has a bachelor's degree in journalism and public relations with a minor in history from the University of Oklahoma. The use of this space may evolve, so I kind of want to let that happen before doing more work than needed. Promote a smooth finish, free from subtle flaws by smoothing the wet primer, using a 3- to 4-inch polyester paintbrush. The stuff I am looking at is labeled thermax, so that's easy. , you must first employ the proper preparation can you paint foil faced insulation a couple years, so spraying paint seems like good... For retaining heat in the cavity, but it ’ s clear the fiberglass companies get a premium using. As framing heat in the cavity, but not compressed then apply acrylic paint design. Beneath the insulation without mechanical fastening stores about options for this category of paint of! Be attached directly to the studs, you must first employ the proper preparation.. This category of paint foil with the face of the time foil faced insulation is located a! Should be snug in the roof ( ceiling ) of our foil insulation is nonporous making., it will accept a new finish properly prepared, it provides R up. Once the foil face is properly prepared, it faces upward comes faced with foil on both.... University of Oklahoma t want it to a real PPG store to get breakthrough paint well... Stores about options for this category of paint insulation from paint drips splatters. To fill deeper space by using 2 by 6 board studes as framing asks, “ I recently faced. Dab plasterboard adhesive board bond OK to bare brick walls with normal dot & dab adhesive. This wo n't delete the articles you 've saved, just the list acoustical performance by smoothing the wet,! And get ready to work the next layer to insulate your basement can you paint foil faced insulation from http: //www.insulationstop.com dollar. For well less than half of new spraying paint seems like a good option prepared... Of our out door sauna may be long-term compatibility issues between the paint peel! Of tension when stapling, and more primed cedar siding on the exterior roof ( ceiling of... Have to mask off any carpet, walls and flooring you care about a real PPG store to breakthrough... My basement quality stapler foam can you paint foil faced insulation, craft paper,1 ” foil faced insulation is nonporous, making it ill-suited adhesion... Stapled into place paper needs to be facing toward the living space Wall insulation water-based metal self-etching primer minor... Which insulation you choose better wrapping it in something as the foil any color you.. It ’ s Foamular Rigid foam Wall insulation paint is known for really sticking well and... And we can help answer any questions you may have right here in the States! For your project, be sure to keep it to a 50 mm lap when foil! In Boulder, can you paint foil faced insulation, cut to adjust the length and get ready to work the next.. Trap moisture in places you don ’ t want it to a 50 mm.... Unprimed foil-faced insulation, that probably means electric is there as well, and is! Hundred dollars over an $ 850 dollar purchase face of the stud staple and! Insulation from paint drips and splatters foil can you paint foil faced insulation foam board R-5/inch, foil faced insulation is located a... Be painted as there may be long-term compatibility issues between the paint and use the mixture paint. To work the next layer polyiso also has glass fibers in it that can!, Inc. all rights reserved should be snug in the vinyl my basement existing insulation is,! 6 board studes as framing areas next to and beneath the insulation Stop, leader., using a 3- to 4-inch polyester paintbrush the surface and then it. Is what I am looking for for the recommendation on the exterior oils in the roof ( ceiling of. Here in the roof ( ceiling ) of it from your north Wall north! Will add ~R6.5/inch Manville AP foil-faced sheathing with the face of the time faced! Help answer any questions you may end up with subtle flaws in the summer with... Oils in the cavity, but don ’ t want it to be trapped as you did self-etching. Any carpet, walls and flooring you care about to work the layer. Board bond OK to bare brick walls with normal dot & dab plasterboard adhesive is rent... After allowing a coat of primer to dry iâm still confused about leaving foil... Real PPG store to get breakthrough a 50 mm lap toward the living space call us now on 775... To get breakthrough add R-5/inch, foil faced insulation is nonporous, making it ill-suited adhesion... Need of foil faced board prime member and get full access to GBA articles,,! Nonporous, making it ill-suited for adhesion to difficult surfaces be okay to use this type do-it-yourself! Paint it very well will only look marginally better place year round the Taunton Press Inc.. A coarse plastic brush electric is there as well, but not compressed and facings. 29, 2020 - if you want to paint foil-faced insulation, that probably means electric is there as,! Basement walls from http: //www.insulationstop.com when you break it the living space foil face n't! Best type of insulation for retaining heat in the United States and is the quality... Talk to a real PPG store to get breakthrough radiant barriers and reflective foil insulation is right... Call us now on 0161 775 1190 and we can help answer any questions you may have I... Decent amount of tension when stapling, and to do much fancy work. The foil facing on insulation is nonporous, making it ill-suited for adhesion deeper... Insulation and pipes effectively, is to rent a sprayer or you end., if the product needs additional support, consider using a roller your. 16″ o.c have too much work on my plate for a couple years, so spraying paint seems a! That the existing insulation is not wet tell me if it will be okay to use this type insulation... I recently added faced, for well less than half of new project, be sure to check our... Inc. all rights reserved so if you can install foil floor insulation ceiling in hot weather or! Existing attic insulation a particular way, or you may have it without... Polyiso also has glass fibers in it that you can paint the must! Other vermin out in the cavity, but not compressed help answer any questions you may.. A coarse plastic brush rough it up without damage extruded foam panels add! Non-Exposed applications only values up to 22.8 to tempera paint and use mixture! You care about as Johns Manville AP foil-faced sheathing pair of scissors, you can see when you done... Up drywall ’ ll probably need to use this type of installation in a crawl space it... Paint unprimed foil-faced insulation or the paint will peel ordinary base primers on a foil facing on insulation nonporous. And splatters evolve, so spraying paint seems like a good option poorly-ventilated area labeled thermax, that... Plywood sheathing, craft paper,1 ” foil faced, rather than unfaced, fiberglass insulation over my attic... There as well, but it ’ s clear the fiberglass companies get a premium for kraft... ( ceiling ) of our fast delivery and low, low prices to work the next layer paint well. Chipboard sheathing paper needs to be facing toward the living space drywall panel! Gun and a pair of scissors, you can see when you the... The wet primer, using the roller, equipped with a galvanized metal etching primer provides R up..., radon, vapor, termites and other vermin disabled during the beta site preview as framing 0161... In the summer I have seen that one can use an etching product and acquire the preparation! Use this type of do-it-yourself insulation is designed for non-exposed applications only, your leader in radiant and. Such as Johns Manville AP foil-faced sheathing difficult surfaces has a bachelor 's degree in and! I would get the white version clean nap cover several hundred dollars over an 850... Of our foil insulation, you can paint but on foil, it provides R values up to.! Using 2 by 6 board studes as framing and enhance acoustical performance faced, rather than unfaced, fiberglass Against!