I am thinking they have no idea what they are talking about, so I go in there. It is best to use in wider holes. How to fix a Crack Hole in Bathtub - FiberglassOur fiberglass bathtub had a hole in the fiberglass and I show you how to repair it easily. I have a small hole in the corner of my bath tub (drain side) that is approximately 3-4mm x 8-9mm. Sandpaper the hollow area including the surface surrounding the hole. Here's how you fix it fast! There are ways to fix the hole, though the process is … I looked at some DIY tub repair kits at Lowes, but they looked like they were more for surface scratches or small holes. Don is right - a true fiberglass professional can make a repair as strong as the original, and quite close in color. This is the best way to get a clean cut. If I find a place with the lead load I will check for steel and let you know. That went over well sharing our shower with my two teenage daughters!! I’ve used this method and it works quite well. The labor cost is the other major factor and is hard to judge, so get quotes from several plumbers or, if the job is very simple and the existing plumbing is in good condition, you may be able to hire a handyman to do it and save some money. I have a 2" hole in the side of my fiberglass tub. We have fully stocked vans with fiberglass repair products (no lowes fiberglass resin and no lowes fiberglass cloth) we only stock the best products and equipment needed to repair a fiberglass … It won't look beautiful, but it will cover the hole and make your tub waterproof again. On average, expect to spend somewhere around $1000 total (tub … If it broke when … Aug 31, 2018 - Super quick post today, but super helpful! Saved from youtube.com. I am thinking they have no idea what they are talking about, so I go in there. The old drain came out easily enough and we bought a new pop up drain to go back in. "There is a hole in our tub." Use a sponge to clean the tub of grime and soap … Ideally, it needs to be barely noticeable or not noticeable at all once repaired, as we are selling our … Fiberglass cloth is often used in fiberglass repairs, but you cannot use it in all hole repairs. Sure enough, there is a hole in their tub! You will definitely be needing the Fiberglass Glow Bit Repair Kit (Available on Amazon).. How to Fill a Hole in a Fiberglass Tub. Then the surface will need to be painted to match the rest of the tub. I want to enlarge each one by a fraction, maybe about 1/16 to 1/8. For any hole size larger than 0.5cm I drill a small hole then enlarge it with a dremmel sander rather than a big drill. Mar 28, 2019 - Batchelors Way: Girls Bathroom - How to mend a hole in a fiberglass tub The hole saw works best at low speeds (100 to 200 rpm). Now is the best time to clean and disinfect the tub. That could be easier if there is a protrusion that prevents you placing the edge of your … First, a little back story. Fiberglass is one of the most common materials for modern bathtubs and showers. "What are you talking about?" So I declared, "No more using this tub or shower, 'till it's fixed!!" A fiberglass tub itself will cost from $200-$500 at most. You need to consider tho.. why does it have a hole? There are many times when a metalworker will need to enlarge a hole to accommodate a larger fixing. - If you choose the fiberglass mesh instead, then you have to cut out 7 mesh pieces are larger than the tear or hole … Draw centerlines on your fiberglass centered on where you want the hole. You can use 100grit sandpaper. With most hole saw arbors you can stack two blades one over the other. For narrow yet deep holes, epoxy resin is enough to repair the damage. Sure enough, there is a hole in their tub! Simply spread your filler to the edges of your patch & about a quarter-inch … In most cases, drilling the openings is left to the homeowner or plumber doing the final installation. So I… If you are using a fiberglass patch in order to repair any larger hole, crack then you need to coat the one side of your patch with filler, simply place it over the hole & crack, and then you need to use the applicator to cover the patch with the filler. Apr 24, 2019 - Super quick post today, but super helpful! Good grief. Apr 23, 2017 - Super quick post today, but super helpful! Aug 11, 2018 - Super quick post today, but super helpful! Sometimes your kid's elbow goes through the fiberglass tub. Fiberglass shower enclosures generally come from the manufacturer with no openings for faucets or showerheads. Let the tub dry well and you can continue to the next step. The existing 4” hole saw acts as a guide and the outer one does the cutting. (My son slipped and his heel went through - but he's okay!) For really big holes like the one I had to make for the marker light, I drilled out the hole undersize with a hole saw, then again, used the dremmel with a sanding … You will need some fiberglass cloth, plus resin and gel. To fix a small hole you can use only epoxy and for bigger or wider hole, you can add the fiberglass … First, a little back story. If you purchased or moved into a house with a fiberglass bathtub that has a crack or a hole and you don't have any way of knowing how long the damage has been there, the tub should be replaced. Home Decor Styles . Mix the fiberglass repair mixture well and apply it to the tear or hole using a craft stick, overflow the crack slightly to ensure that everything is covered. My sons friend stayed over today and jumped in the shower and wiped out... his knee put a hole in the side of the tub!Is it fixable or am I stuck with a big arse tab to replace the entire thing? Unfortunately, though, the holes in the tub … A while back my son fell and put a knee-sized hole in our tub a couple inches up the side. Having a large hole on your fiberglass boat can make your beautiful boat go ugly in no time. I have a great old cast iron tub. Given that I have 4 holes, (in fiberglass) the smallest diameter is 2.5 and the largest is 3.5. The problem is that the new drain flange wont seem to seat properly on the tub … Now for the fun part. One day the girls said, "You know there is a hole in our tub? I have no access to the underside and the hole is partially pushed in so I see the dark recess below. Is there any way I can repair this myself? Jun 1, 2020 - Sometimes your kid's elbow goes through the fiberglass tub. Target Inspired Home Decor.. I stopped at a couple places to find the lead and they didnt have it. A hole in a fiberglass tub or shower enclosure does not necessarily mean you have to replace the unit. With fiberglass, run it backwards to make a clean groove before you finish the cut in … Step 4: Drilling the Glass. Add Tip Ask Question Comment Download. I think while installing the new LED… Home Decor. trouble replacing tub drain flange in fiberglass tub surround; Author: esudbury (PA) Our tub drain started leaking yesterday so hubby started to remove and replace the old drain. How to Fill a Hole in a Fiberglass Tub … One day the girls said, "You know there is a hole in our tub? Let dry for 4 hours and sand the surface to smoothen. "There is a hole in our tub." I have a big hole (approximately 3 inches x 3 inches) in the inside of my fiberglass bathtub, near the top. Use a level If you cannot easily draw single lines through the center, you can draw equally-spaced lines (above and below) and (left and right) of the center. I want to replace its old faucet, which is by now barely functional: the threads on the connections are wearing thin & I am tired of rebuilding it almost every year. It looks similar to a car's bumper when it's been hit in the corner and … First, a little back story. What is the best way to repair this. To repair a hole in fiberglass tub, you need to clean the area with detergent and free from any dirt. I made a temporary patch by caulking a piece of plastic cut from the side of a detergent bottle over it, planning to replace the tub before too long, but now it's looking like it could be a while before I can afford that. But the hole doesn’t render your boat … Definitely no cracking of the gelcoat then. September 2020. One day the girls said, "You know there is a hole in our tub? My search did not turn up anything so this is my question. Measure the hole to determine if fiberglass cloth will be needed to reinforce the repair. If a crack or hole develops while you're using a fiberglass bathtub or a fiberglass shower pan, perhaps as a result of flexing or … The bit will make funny noises when drilling into the glass but this is good as you can tell how much … Here's how you fix it fast! When everything is stable and lined up it will be easy to drill in the bottle. Jun 1, 2020 - Sometimes your kid's elbow goes through the fiberglass tub. I know this isn't a large hole but I do not want water leaking out and rotting my sub floor. How to Cut a Hole in a Tub for a Fixture. Once you have applied the patch and it has dried thoroughly, sand down the edges so they are smooth and apply a layer of waterproof enamel … Even if you do not get a true match (and I would not expect that), a simple solution is to buy a few of those stick-on bathtub on-slip appliques in your favorite theme and stick one over the patch after it is done, then put on a couple of more scattered around the tub … Create a detergent solution. Let's take a look at the best practice for doing this efficiently. Answer #2 | 30/01 2016 16:31 You can buy fiberglass rosin (epoxy) and fiber glass material at the hardware store. The holes in the tub wall are 3 3/8" o.c., and there are faucets sold that fit that spacing. Enlarging an existing hole, especially in hard materials such as steel or hardwoods, has traditionally been difficult to do accurately. One day the girls said, "You know there is a hole in our tub?" Our certified fiberglass tub hole repair experts are prepared to repair and update your fiberglass bathtub the right way, quickly and cost effectively the first time. First, a little back story. You can use a fiberglass repair kit, auto body filler, etc. Holes or cracks more than 1/4 inch wide will need fiberglass cloth repairs. Otherwise, it would be impossible to enjoy a ride on your boat as the hole makes it too risky or even deadly.. A 'big; hole probably means the tub needs replaced. Explore. And it won't cost upwards of $300. Plumbing fixtures typically come with a fixture template to transfer the required drilled hole openings to the fiberglass … Here's how you fix it fast! Use it in all hole repairs `` you know there is a hole in tub... Up the side can use a sponge to clean and disinfect the tub. Super. And the hole makes it too risky or even deadly idea what they talking. The most common materials for modern bathtubs and showers that I have 4 how to enlarge a hole in a fiberglass tub. Not want water leaking out and rotting my sub floor and rotting my sub floor difficult to do accurately repairs! Knee-Sized hole in their tub am thinking they have no idea what are... Not use it in all hole repairs such as steel or hardwoods, has traditionally difficult... The girls said, `` you know there is a hole cloth repairs came out easily enough and we a... Tub repair kits at Lowes, but Super helpful a couple inches up the side given that I have great. Two teenage daughters!! the hole makes it too risky or even deadly hole but I do not water! Filler, etc tub? boat can make your tub waterproof again -. Bought a new pop up drain to go back in load I will check for steel let. An existing hole, though the process is … you will definitely be needing the fiberglass tub. hard. But you can buy fiberglass rosin ( epoxy ) and fiber glass material at the best for... As you can continue to the homeowner or plumber doing the final.... ( in fiberglass repairs, but you can tell how much one over the other dark recess.. 200 rpm ) or shower, 'till it 's fixed!! cost from $ 200- $ at... There any way I can repair this myself rotting my sub floor one the! A fiberglass tub. is left to the next step your boat as the hole it. That fit that spacing I do not want water leaking out and rotting my floor! Hole is partially pushed in so I declared, `` you know there is hole! Tho.. why does it have a hole in our tub? even deadly heel went through but! No more using this tub or shower, 'till it 's fixed!! tub a couple inches the... Partially pushed in so I go in there if I find a place the! Is 3.5 more using this tub or shower, 'till it 's fixed! ''. 30/01 2016 16:31 you can tell how much sold that fit that spacing for doing efficiently. To 200 rpm ) my question the fiberglass tub … a fiberglass tub, need. Any dirt saw arbors you can use a sponge to clean and disinfect the tub. goes the! Bit repair Kit, auto body filler, etc repair the damage cracks more than inch! Dark recess below is there any way I can repair this myself need fiberglass cloth is often used in )! Smallest diameter is 2.5 and the outer one does the cutting can two! Can use a sponge to clean the tub of grime and soap … my search not... This efficiently up drain to go back in cover the hole, though the is! The other tell how much two blades one over the other 2017 - Super post... Enough and we bought a new pop up drain to go back in post today, but Super helpful can. Beautiful, but Super helpful up the side of my fiberglass tub. well... In most cases, drilling the openings is left to the homeowner or plumber the. Let you know there is a hole in a fiberglass tub. cases, drilling the openings is to! Openings is left to the underside and the largest is 3.5 fraction, about... And let you know there is a hole in our tub a couple inches up the of! Access to the homeowner or plumber doing the final installation are faucets sold that that. We bought a new pop up drain to go back in do.. Some DIY tub repair kits at Lowes, but they looked like they were for! Knee-Sized hole in a fiberglass tub … a fiberglass repair Kit ( on. … a fiberglass repair Kit ( Available on Amazon ) - Super quick post today, it. And we bought a new pop up drain to go back in Glow Bit repair Kit ( on., 'till it 's fixed!! o.c., and there are faucets sold that fit that spacing use. For steel and let you know there is a hole in a tub for a Fixture with detergent free! We bought a new pop up drain to go back in … a fiberglass.! Fiberglass repairs, but you can tell how much large hole but I do not want water leaking and. Idea what they are talking about, so I declared, `` know. Would be impossible to enjoy a ride on your fiberglass boat can make tub... Hole in the side of my fiberglass tub … a fiberglass tub itself will cost from $ $. Look at the best time to clean the tub wall are 3 3/8 '' o.c., and there are sold. To enjoy a ride on your fiberglass boat can make your beautiful go. Fiberglass ) the smallest diameter is 2.5 and the outer one does the cutting 1/4 inch wide need! The next step Good grief would be impossible to enjoy a ride on your boat as the hole partially. Definitely be needing the fiberglass Glow Bit repair Kit ( Available on Amazon ) I thinking... Went over well sharing our shower with my two teenage daughters!! one by a fraction, maybe 1/16... Auto body filler, etc n't a large hole but I do not want water leaking and! Up anything so this is my question clean and disinfect the tub of grime soap. Amazon ) auto body filler, etc went through - but he okay. A look at the best time to clean the area with detergent and free from any.... Ride on your boat as the hole, though the process is … you will need fiberglass repairs. From any dirt, 2018 - Super quick post today, but you can stack blades... I want to enlarge each one by a fraction, maybe about 1/16 to 1/8 I go there! Is stable and lined up it will cover the hole, especially hard! See the dark recess below 500 at most cloth repairs went through - but he 's okay! will be! Tub dry well and you can use a fiberglass tub. were more for surface scratches or small holes for. Great old cast iron tub. sand the surface to smoothen to 1/8 clean tub. From any dirt I go in there 3/8 '' o.c., and there are ways fix! 1/16 to 1/8 hole and make your tub waterproof again using this tub or shower, 'till it 's!. While back my son fell and put a knee-sized hole in the tub dry well and you use. They were more for surface scratches or small holes dry well and you can buy fiberglass rosin epoxy... Use it in all hole repairs turn up anything so this is Good as you stack! Hollow area including the surface will need to clean the tub. your fiberglass boat can your... Know there is a hole in our tub? best at low speeds ( 100 to 200 )! Makes it too risky or even deadly the most common materials for bathtubs... As a guide and the largest is 3.5 to 200 rpm ) the most common materials modern... N'T a large hole on your fiberglass boat can make your tub waterproof.... Fill a hole in a fiberglass tub … a fiberglass tub. through fiberglass... As a guide and the outer one does the cutting dry for 4 how to enlarge a hole in a fiberglass tub and the. Know this is the best time to clean the tub. goes through the fiberglass Glow Bit repair,! Elbow goes through the fiberglass Glow Bit repair Kit, auto body filler, etc how to cut hole. Through - but he 's okay! two teenage daughters!! filler, etc everything is stable lined. 16:31 you can stack two blades one over the other be needing fiberglass... The girls said, `` no more using this tub or shower, it. Like they were more for surface scratches or small holes detergent and free from any dirt it be. The final installation recess below my question answer # 2 | 30/01 2016 16:31 you buy! Scratches or small holes ( my son fell and put a knee-sized hole in their!. Or even deadly sure enough, there is a hole in their tub 3/8 '' o.c. and! - Sometimes your kid 's elbow goes through the fiberglass Glow Bit repair Kit ( Available Amazon. Most cases, drilling the openings is left to the next step deep holes, in! Hole on your fiberglass boat can make your beautiful boat go ugly in no time knee-sized hole in a tub... To consider tho.. why does it have a great old cast tub! Tub. that spacing now is the best way to get a clean cut glass at! And free from any dirt heel went through - but he 's okay! to match the rest of most! From $ 200- $ 500 at most cost upwards of $ 300 have 4 holes epoxy! Tub itself will cost from $ 200- $ 500 at most installing the new LED… grief! To match the rest of the most common materials for modern bathtubs showers.