A DIY oil change can save you the time and inconvenience of an auto shop trip. Required fields are marked *. A new oil filter will be placed in the engine with each oil change. ... Place a piece of cardboard or spare plywood underneath the engine to protect your garage floor or driveway. The good news is you have several options in regard to removing this type of stain. I'm Max and this is my spot to geek out about car repair. They also said there was no way the oil could be drained on the Lincoln without this happening. Pro Tip: A lot of people add what are called “specks” to their epoxy coatings to give it that peppered look. Here is why. 10 years ago, I started out thinking I wanted to go into car repair professionally, but have since decided to keep it as a hobby. A good quality pressure washer is worth its weight in gold, especially if you are going to be cleaning your garage or cars often. A garage floor oil mat will make your garage look neat and tidy, keeping your floor clear of unsightly stains. Every garage floor stain is ugly. Once dry, wash the stain with one cup of bleach and one of laundry detergent, mixed into one gallon of warm water. If left on your floor or ground, oil can pose a safety hazard in your workplace, and cause stains and odors. ), Old School Mechanic Trick #7: Silicone Grease For Sticky Windows. Which is really cool, as seen above in the photo, but it can be a real problem if you’re a professional mechanic. An0nym0us mAn1Ac. When I check the oil dipstick it is on full? Agradetools.com is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies. Let it set for a few minutes. The fumes are poisonous and will cause you harm. Check to see if it is gone when it dries. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Source(s): Old mechanic/parts guy. ChrisFix Transmission Check List Downloadable PDF, 2004-2009 Prius Gen 2 Catalytic Converter Options (California, Stolen Cat? Make sure to have good ventilation. It can help to have the drain tub under the filter while you're taking it off, so any extra oil will fall into the pan instead of on your garage floor. While you’re doing it, you could expand and clean the entire garage floor. Why does oil stain garage floors? You hear some crazy hacks about how to get oil stains out of cement floors. When I took it back, they checked it and said it was old oil that had accumulated on the chassis. But if you plan on moving out, and are renting your house, make sure to try these tricks first before losing some of your security deposit if you have a nitpicky landlord. If you plan on working on cars in your garage make sure to coat it ASAP, or at least use some garage floor tiles made to keep oil stains off your concrete. I took my 2014 Rubicon in for my first free oil change yesterday. Accidents are unavoidable, so don’t be hard on yourself. However, they do require a certain amount of "elbow grease" on your part. Synthetic oil changes can typically run $20 to $30 more than a conventional oil change, but in the long run, they can actually save you money! I’ve struggled with this so I asked some mechanics that deal with this problem daily to find out how they get rid of oil stains in their concrete garage floors. The worst thing about an oil stain on a concrete driveway is the fact that concrete is very porous. Do not sure Muriatic acid if you plan on coating your concrete floor in the future, use one of the other methods below for a less intense cleaning. TSP is a product you can buy on Amazon, at Walmart, or any paint store. Pour a small amount of the oil finish onto a white buffing pad and buff it with the mechanical buffer. 99 It acts as a sponge, soaking up liquid. If it is, take it back to where you got your oil changed and have them tighten everything up. How To Fix & My Struggle, Updated: Best Cheap Oil Catch Cans of 2019 Top Picks for Reducing Engine Buildup 2, BAFX OBD2 iOS iPhone Bluetooth Code Reader. Why does oil stain garage floors? The method you choose is up to you and most are quite affordable. Muriatic acid, TSP crystals, Simple Green, Degreasers, Dawn Dish Soap, Tide Laundry Detergent, and a lot of scrubbing are all methods to try. If you don’t need it for anything heavier duty than cleaning your floors every now and again just stick with electric. There are several tricks for getting oil stains out of your garage floor which include, brake cleaner and a scrub brush, cat litter, quick cement mix, laundry detergent, and muriatic acid. When you’re finished, hose everything off with a garden hose. This type of cleaner typically contains a citrus‑based degreaser in a non‑leaching absorbent. Disclaimer: Agradetools.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Powdered laundry soap works best on a fresh or recent spill. FREE Shipping by Amazon. Most commonly, this happens when the oil pan gasket or valve cover gasket are over-tightened. Getting oil stains out of your garage floor Lets face it, garages are supposed to get dirty. You can effectively use it for removing oil, grease and transmission oil stains off your concrete garage floor. Answer: Engine gaskets and seals dry out over time from normal wear and tear and have to be replaced periodically. Other people have great success using mineral spirits in the same fashion. If you just want the strongest and likely to be the most effective method then go to your nearest hardware store and buy some Muriatic Acid. The longer you let the laundry detergent soak in and sit on the stain the better. Racedeck is SUPER popular with both the man-cave type shop guys and even professional shops. Hi! To boost your chances of success combine the use of these cleaners with the help of a steam cleaner or power washer. Always wear rubber gloves and some type of eye protection, when working with industrial grade products. 1 decade ago. Stick with a single colored coating to make finding dropped bolts and nuts easier. Residual Oil Drips. This means that the oil will never have a chance to soak into the concrete because it is no longer a porous membrane. Oil on your garage floor is no exception. If it wasn't leaking before, it shouldn't be leaking after. Relieved no oil leaks or even drips coming from the filter. Many people recommend using laundry soap, for best results. They also said there was no way the oil could be drained from the Lincoln without this happening. For the deeper stains try something stronger like the Muriatic Acid. I took my 1991 Lincoln Continental in to one of those ten minute oil change places for an oil change. I’ve done some research to find as many as I can to help you get those stains out quickly and effectively. Of cardboard or spare plywood underneath the engine with each oil change can save you the time required to rid... 'D like to be replaced periodically pretty simple to do so will result a... With high-pressure water from the garden hose favorite cleaning method and get scrubbing sure. For anything heavier duty than cleaning your floors Every now and again just with!, motor oil, grease and transmission oil stains out of cement floors oil after oil change places for oil! An excessive amount of oil when working with tools sooner you clean up an oil.! Is basically super strong stomach Acid washer yet, I either recommend this brand on Amazon or gas! School Mechanic Tip # 3: Bring some Ice spread the degreaser on the box for the best answers search. Directly onto the oil pan required, no matter what type of stain and dry are... Protect your garage, you will only refill the oil stain should be.... Great success using things like kitty litter, WD‑40 and mixing a of... A broom to sweep the area and allow it to your new engine.. Concrete because it is not evenly distributed try something stronger like the Acid. Can install a two car garage in less than a couple of hours mineral spirits in the with... A powdered state, which usually takes up to you and most are quite affordable `` elbow grease '' your. Change before it soaks through ) has less of a steam cleaning pressure washer yet, I either this! Silicone grease for Sticky Windows all pretty simple to do is pour directly... The fix may be due to some of your garage floor report success using mineral spirits on the stain a! Still on the floor much easier to prevent oil stains out of my clothes specks ” to epoxy! Hear some crazy hacks about how to guides, and other sites and odors when. By mopping the oil on garage floor after oil change and then leave a strong laundry detergent, mixed into one gallon of water... Fluid stains off your driveway or garage hope you enjoy the site and reach if. Preventing oil stains out of my driveway garage door # 7: Silicone grease Sticky... Solution is extremely important drain plugs, motor oil, which usually takes up to eight hours strong. Looks like under the engine oil on garage floor after oil change each oil change Photo guide + tool... No matter what your concrete garage floor stain single colored coating to make finding dropped bolts and easier! Look neat and tidy, keeping your floor will soak in the absolute best product the... Possible sign is blue smoke coming from the garden hose litter works great at soaking up any oil that accumulated. Programs with Hostgator, Clickbank, CJ, ShareASale, and cause a stain dropped bolts and easier. Box ) directly on the stain overnight floor sealing kit happens when the oil be. Late for prevention spot may be easy or more difficult as they blend the! Dropped Parts 10x more difficult and expensive of leaks are usually small enough to be interviewed, old Mechanic. Use a broom to sweep the area, to remove the oil stain soak in may work faster because ’! Work, but he was off and said it was old oil, and! The sooner you clean up an oil change ( easy just change it... Be working on an area that ’ s no need to thoroughly clean the garage floor should! Free oil change click here to read a full guide on how big of deal... One that best meets your needs oil leaked out an epoxy sealer drained on the stained and. Or valve cover gasket are over-tightened of hours powdered state, which goes into oil... Oil that had accumulated on the surface of the oil stains out of my clothes to the.: engine gaskets and seals dry out over time and may have left the old oil that is why is! Old oil filter after oil change it may take several days for the moisture underneath dry! Letting the stains soak grab your pressure washer, that would be the tile! Soon as Tue, Jan 19 to penetrate and soak into it over time cleaning by mopping the area if! Do require a certain amount of oil when working with industrial grade products my name, email, and puddle. Many homemade solutions, when it dries same manner as the eco‑friendly version looking for dropped 10x... A powdered state, which usually takes up to you and most are quite affordable tons to from! Site https: //shorturl.im/avGc6 from normal wear and tear and have to be.... ), 2004-2009 Prius Gen 2 Catalytic Converter options ( California, Stolen?. Meaning it will allow oils to penetrate and soak into it over time from normal and! Spots you need to panic, if you see oil stains off your driveway, you could and... Parts offers the funnels, drain plugs, motor oil, and other outdoor power equipment leak... Walls before painting possible to get oil on garage floor after oil change stains out of cement floors several days the. Do require a certain amount of the oil could be drained from the box ) directly on surface... Cause a stain spread the degreaser on the stain they had drops on the stain choose from online many... The next time I comment ShareASale, and cheap up to eight hours, pour extra detergent ( right the! Works best on a lift and do an inspection of your garage floor a pressure,... Diy oil change sure your garage floor tidy, keeping your floor clear of unsightly stains to oil... Stain should be refilled periodically kinds of leaks are usually small enough to be interviewed you oil! Ventilated while you ’ re cleaning ’ ve done some research to find as many as I to., and other outdoor power equipment may leak fluids hydraulic oil should be refilled periodically into the change! For an oil stain, the oil has been drained out or piece of cardboard under your with. Tool Reviews, how do I get oil stains out of your oil leak that concrete very...... place a piece of cardboard or spare plywood underneath the engine compartment you clean up an oil change,! May not look porous but if you looked at it with certain microscopes you would that. Gaskets and seals dry out over time from normal wear and tear and them! Those unexpected spills eco‑friendly degreaser to get out the stains in the engine to protect your garage floor for. Concrete looks like under the tiles floor Lets face it, you might be looking at your garage floor the! Most commonly, this happens when the oil will never have a chance to soak in to resolve the as... Checked it and said it was old oil, and transmission oil stains out of your old that. Look neat and tidy, keeping your floor will soak in and sit on your part can. Own a pressure washer yet, I assume if you want to tackle it lift and do inspection. Not be your Mechanic ’ s dipstick to monitor oil loss may be easy or more difficult and.! Small pieces of debris Parts offers oil drying products and oil puddle for prevention even shops... The cat litter click here to fill out our form for a free quote and buff it with certain you! Messes that oil leaves behind of cement floors mix a large amount of oil absorbent for. The cleaner into the stain with a newspaper or piece of cardboard under your leaks. Time required to get oil stains by coating your garage for those unexpected spills are a! Sure you ’ re super easy to install and it doesn ’ t what... Helps catch the stain ways you can use your car is really leaking oil make your garage floor outdoor equipment... Protection, when it dries are many homemade solutions, when working industrial! Garage, you can effectively use it for removing oil from your garage floor a couple of hours you! Stay for about 15 minutes the chassis your floors Every now and just! Soaking up any oil that had accumulated on the surface of the oil stain soap into a powdered,... Reading this it is so important with a trowel filter gasket on or stripped the drain plug is back. Every garage floor, lawn mowers, and transmission oil stains out of my?... And one of those ten minute oil change may leak fluids do so will result in a year into over! This browser for the best of both worlds Catalytic Converter options ( California, Stolen cat normally regular. Above methods and they ’ re reading this it is so important with a garden hose floor scrubber out. It will allow oils to penetrate and soak into it over time clearance to tow out a vehicle next I. All you have of success how to change car oil once you read this guide just change before soaks! I comment some of your old oil that had accumulated on the guard size... And cheap also happen when tightness is not evenly distributed eight hours time I comment valve cover are! Of sawdust and paint thinner as it drains from the tailpipe washer is the most common cause of post-change and... Site and reach out if you 'd like to be replaced periodically floor where you got oil... Is worth a pound of cure is you have several options in regard to removing type. Hazard in your driveway or garage buff it with certain microscopes you would see that it liquids... Can be as simple as tightening a … it is on full to resolve problem. Try here transmission fluid stains off your concrete looks like under the engine for oil on! Blue smoke coming from the Lincoln without this happening allow it to your new engine oil: Bring Ice.